How to Become a Missouri Notary
Here is a step-by-step guide to become a notary in Missouri. Notaries.com handles all of these requirements through our easy application, so rest-assured you have everything you need to become a notary!
1) Meet State of Missouri Notary Requirements to be a Notary Public
In order to become a Notary in Missouri, you must meet the following requirements for new and renewing notaries:
- You must be at least 18-years old
- You are applying for the county of which you are a legal resident
- Non-residents of Missouri may apply if employed in Missouri and planning to use the commission only for that place of business
- Be a registered voter for the county to which you are applying or be a legal alien of the US
- Any permanent resident alien under Section 245 of the Immigration and Nationality Act can become a notary public in Missouri
- Be able to read and write English
- Have not had your notary commissions revoked during the past 10 years
2) Complete the Missouri Notary Public Education
The State of Missouri requires all new and renewing notaries to take the three hour Missouri online notary education course. Training is available on notaries.com as part of the application process.
3) Complete a Missouri Notary Application and Access the Course
At notaries.com you will complete a notary application, purchase your notary bond, pre-order your customized notary stamp and take required notary education course. As you follow the prompts at notaries.com you will provide the information required for your state Notary Commission Application. Once you have made your payment you will be prompted to PRINT a copy of your application. The application is ONE page. You will also continue to have access to the Online Notary course. When you have completed the course you will be prompted to PRINT a copy of your Education Certificate.
Your Application and Education Certificate must be SIGNED AND SENT TO NOTARIES.COM:
scan and email the TWO pages to notaries.com or fax them to: 1-800-224-6368
Or you may mail them to:
Notaries.com (formerly Huckleberry Notary Bonding, Inc)
225 E Robinson St #570
Orlando, FL 32801
Notaries.com will submit your application and education certificate to the state of your behalf. Processing your application can take the Secretary of State 3-4 weeks. Once it has been issued, your Commission Letter will be mailed to you. When you receive your letter from the state please EMAIL or FAX it to notaries.com.
4) Obtain your $10,000 Notary Bond and your Notary Stamp
When you receive your commissioning letter from the state, please EMAIL or FAX a copy to email@example.com. We will issue your Notary Bond and mail it to you. You pre-purchased your Notary Bond when you completed and printed your application at notaries.com. When you receive your bond from notaries.com, you will go to the County Clerk's office to be sworn in. Notaries.com will also manufacture your custom notary stamp and ship it to you in a separate package from your notary bond.
5) Being Sworn in as a Missouri Notary Public
After you receive your commissioning letter from your county clerk and your notary bond from notaries.com, you have 30 days to visit the location indicated on the commissioning letter. At that location, you will be required to:
- Show $10,000 surety bond purchased from notaries.com
- Take the Oath of Office
- Submit a copy of your signature
- Get your commission certificate
The name and your signature must match that of the name on your application. Once you have completed these five steps, the County Clerk will mail your bond, your Oath of Office, and your signature to the Secretary of State's office.